Ferrara Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral and minor basilica in Ferrara. Dedicated to Saint George, the patron saint of the city, it is the seat of the Archbishop of Ferrara and the largest religious building in the city.
The cathedral stands in the city centre, not far from the Palazzo Comunale and the famous Castello Estense and is connected to the Archbishop's Palace by a covered passage.
Construction of the present building began in the 12th century, when the city was being extended towards the left bank of the Po River; the new cathedral was consecrated in 1135. The former cathedral, also dedicated to Saint George, still stands on the right bank of the river outside the city walls and is now known as St George's Basilica Outside the Walls
News ed Eventi
L’arte per l’arte – Painting the affections: Sacred art in Ferrara from the 16th to the 18th Centuries
“L’arte per l’arte” returns to the Este Castle. Following a project formerly organized by Comune di Ferrara, here is [...]